Best of the Best
The Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina continually proves that it is worthy of the moniker “The Grand Strand” year after year, garnering prestigious awards and designations ranging from the 25th best place to retire by TopRetirements.com, the “World’s Best Beach” by Yahoo! Travel, “Overall Value for Money Destination” and seven of the “Top 100 Public Golf Courses in America” by Golf Digest. Whether seeking the ideal retirement location, an exciting recreational vacation, or the perfect family beach, residents and visitors to the Myrtle Beach area will find award-winning offerings in every lifestyle category.
Horry County Schools
- State Report Cards issued by the South Carolina Department of Education for 2013 show that 100 percent of Horry County schools received a rating of Excellent, Good or Average. Seventy-seven percent were rated Excellent or Good. As a district, Horry County Schools' holds an absolute rating of Good, according to the South Carolina Department of Education.
- Horry County Schools received an “A” in student performance measured for federal accountability.
- The average SAT composite score for Horry County students is 1,484; 53 points above the South Carolina state average and within 15 points of the national average.
- Four secondary schools topped the national average on the SAT: Carolina Forest High School 1,521; Academy for Arts, Science and Technology, 1,569; Green Sea Floyds High School, 1,511; and North Myrtle Beach High School, 1,578.
- Horry County Schools students out-performed the South Carolina state average at every grade in every subject tested in PASS.
- The 2013 rankings of America’s Best High Schools show two Horry County high schools among the best in South Carolina. Aynor High School ranked #12 and Socastee High School ranked #17 in this national review.
- South Carolina ranked ninth in the 10 most tax-friendly states in the United States, according to Kiplinger's 2014 analysis of state tax rules. – Kiplinger
- South Carolina tied for second overall in the nation as one of "2013 Top States For Doing Business." – Area Development Magazine
- In the Area Development Magazine survey of “2013 Top States For Doing Business,” South Carolina received high marks in several categories. It was ranked second for its overall business environment (corporate tax environment, incentive programs, overall cost of doing business, and business friendliness.) The state also placed second for its overall labor climate and third (tied with Illinois) for its overall infrastructure and global access. – Area Development Magazine
- A 2013 ranking of states on their tax-friendliness to small businesses and entrepreneurs places South Carolina at No. 17. Virginia-based Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council ranked states on the overall costs of their tax systems by looking at 18 different measurements, including property taxes, inheritance taxes and unemployment. – Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council
- South Carolina ranked No. 8 among all states for "Best Business Climate." – Business Facilities Magazine
Additional Area Accolades
TRIPADVISOR 13 DESTINATIONS WITH TOP EARNING POTENTIAL FOR HOMEOWNERS (2015)
Myrtle Beach ranked No. 2 on TripAdvisor’s list of the 13 best destinations for homeowners to rent out their home. Homeowners in Myrtle Beach have an average weekly earnings potential of $762.80, according to the rankings.
WHERE TO RETIRE 50 BEST MASTER-PLANNED COMMUNITIES IN THE UNITED STATES (2015)
Cresswind Myrtle Beach in Myrtle Beach and Lakeside Crossing in Conway were included in “Where to Retire” magazine’s list of the 50 best master-planned communities in the United States.
TRIVAGO.COM TOP 10 MOST POPULAR AMERICAN BEACHES (2015)
Hotel search engine Trivago.com found that Myrtle Beach was the top beach destination among U.S. travelers for 2015.
TRIPADVISOR TOP 25 DESTINATIONS – UNITED STATES (2015)
Myrtle Beach was named one of the best destinations in the United States, coming in at No. 22. TripAdvisor commended the Myrtle Beach area for its variety of attractions, sandy beaches, and golf courses.
NERDWALLET.COM TOP 10 BEST PLACES TO START A BUSINESS IN SOUTH CAROLINA (2015)
Myrtle Beach was ranked as one of the top three best places in the state to start a business, according to data gathered from the personal finance website NerdWallet.com.
- MYRTLE BEACH A TOP DESTINATION TO VISIT DURING FALL SHOULDER SEASON (2014) Vacation rental website FlipKey chose Myrtle Beach as the top place to visit in the U.S. during the 2014 fall shoulder season.
- MYRTLE BEACH TOP SUMMER DESTINATON (2014) Vacation website TripAdvisor named Myrtle Beach the No. 1 destination for summer travel following the results of its annual summer travel survey.
MYRTLE BEACH ONE OF TOP 10 MOST AFFORDABLE CITIES TO RETIRE (2014)
The Simple Dollar named Myrtle Beach as one of the most affordable communities to retire in the United States. The Simple Dollar noted that Myrtle Beach is a popular retirement community that caters to active seniors and has a cost-of-living index score 13 points below the national average.
MYRTLE BEACH, CONWAY TWO OF TOP 10 PLACES TO RETIRE IN SOUTH CAROLINA (2014) Movoto Real Estate lists Myrtle Beach and Conway as two of the top 10 best places to retire in South Carolina. In their analysis, Myrtle Beach ranked No. 1 for its number of retirement amenities per capita, while Conway received accolades for its many shops, bistros, art galleries and things to do following a downtown renovation in the 1980s.
- SOCASTEE IS NO. 3 BEST PLACE FOR HOME OWNERSHIP IN SOUTH CAROLINA (2014) NerdWallet, a consumer advocacy site, chose the Socastee community in the Myrtle Beach area as the No. 3 best place in South Carolina for homeownership. An analysis of data relating to affordability, population growth and homeownership rates was used in generating the list. Socastee has a homeownership rate of 63.8 percent. Its population grew 13 percent between 2010 and 2012, and currently has nearly 30,000 residents.
BEST OF SAMANTHA BROWN, TRAVEL CHANNEL (2013)
Samantha Brown, well known for her travel programs on The Travel Channel ranked Myrtle Beach #1 on her list of Best Travel Spots on her show's website. This list was out of five other locations and included places such as Los Angeles, Miami and Nantucket.
BEST FAMILY VACATIONS (2013)
FlipKey, the vacation rental company of leading travel website TripAdvisor.com, ranked Myrtle Beach as one of the best family vacation spots.
BEST BOARDWALKS FOR FOOD ACROSS THE USA (2013)
USA Today chose the top 25 boardwalks around the country based on reflection of region, price, and quality of ingredients. Myrtle Beach ranked 12th on the list.
TOP 10 AMERICAN PLACES KIDS WOULD MOST LIKE TO VISIT (2013)
To celebrate the re-launch of Which Way USA, its popular puzzle club that delivers a state-by-state adventure though the U.S., Highlights for Children polled kids to discover their most-desired vacation destinations. Myrtle Beach, SC, ranked no. 3 on the top 10 list.
TOP 25 TRAVEL DESTINATIONS (2013)
Chosen by millions of travelers, Myrtle Beach was ranked one of the top 25 travel destinations by TripAdvisor.com.
TOP SOUTHERN HOT SPOT FOR WINTER MEETINGS & EVENTS (2013)
ConventionSouth magazine, a national multimedia resource for planning events that are held within the South, asked readers and Facebook fans to vote for the cities they felt were the best places to hold a meeting or event during the winter months. Voters were directed to a Facebook ballot and were given a selection of 50 destinations across the Southeast and the Caribbean Seas region to select from. Myrtle Beach ranked no. 11 on the list.
TOP EAST COAST BEACHES (2013)
FlipKey is the vacation rental company of leading travel website, TripAdvisor.com. Through traveler feedback and industry research, Myrtle Beach was recognized as one of the Top East Coast Beaches based on a variety of factors, including access to restaurants, attractions, lifestyle and of course scenery.
BEST RESTAURANT CITIES (2013)
The Huffington Post ranked the Myrtle Beach/Florence market as number 6 of 15 restaurant crazy cities based on the number of restaurants per capita in the area. HuffPost Food used data from The NPD Group's annual ReCount survey, which takes a yearly census of the number of restaurants in the country, to rank United States metropolitan areas by the number of restaurants per capita. The group sites the area having over 1700 restaurants and 24 restaurants per 10,000 restaurants.
101 BEST STADIUM EXPERIENCES IN SPORTS (2013)
Stadium Journey Magazine ranked TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark 19th on its annual list of the 101 best stadium experiences in sports in 2013. The list ranked the Myrtle Beach Pelicans home ballpark among, and ahead of, some of the most famous venues in all of sports such as Wrigley Field and the Cowboys Stadium. The list also ranked the Pelicans as the third-best stadium experience in Minor League Baseball, and the best in the state of South Carolina.
AMERICA'S MOST AWESOME BOARDWALKS (2013)
Budget Travel picked the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk as one of America's Most Awesome Boardwalks. Nineteen boardwalks across the country were chosen, and Myrtle Beach's 1.2-mile oceanfront staple is nestled alongside the Atlantic City Boardwalk in New Jersey, Coney Island in Brooklyn, N.Y., and the Venice Beach Boardwalk in California.
SILVER FOR MYRTLE BEACH PRIMARY DEBATE (2012)
Myrtle Beach was judged to be exceptional by expert travel and tourism professionals to be awarded a Silver HSMAI Award in the special events Public Relations category for the Myrtle Beach Republican Primary Debate on Fox News in January 2012. Myrtle Beach brought the beach into politics with the creation of a large sand sculpture of the presidential candidates coined Mount Myrtle.
TOP 10 BEST BREWERY TOURS IN THE U.S. (2012)
In October 2012, Tripadvisor named Myrtle Beach based New South Brewery one of the top best brewery tours in the United States. Based on their sites popularity index, New South was ranked number 7 of 10. Visitors to the area can tour the brewery, try samples and purchase their favorite brews to take home.
TOP 15 LOW COST TOWNS (2012)
For its Sept/Oct 2012 issue, the magazine included Myrtle Beach in its profile of low cost towns for retirees. Towns in this ranking were chosen for their below average living costs, affordable homes and low taxes.
TOP 5 FAMILY BEACHES ACROSS AMERICA
Away.com included Myrtle Beach is its top 5 list of family beaches in America in 2012. The accolade highlights the great weather and wealth of family friendly activities one of the top family beach destinations in the US.
BESTIES READERS' CHOICE TRAVEL AWARDS "BEST SPRING BREAK DESTINATION"
Myrtle Beach was voted best spring break destination by readers of 10Best.com. It was given the honor for its endless entertainment options for families and 60 miles of coastline.
"BEST YOU CAN PLAY"
Nine golf courses in the Myrtle Beach area were selected among the top 15 "Best You Can Play" in South Carolina by Golfweek, including a third place ranking for Caledonia Golf and Fish Club and top-10 honors for The Dunes Golf and Beach, True Blue Golf Plantation, Tidewater Golf Club, TPC Myrtle Beach and Barefoot Resort's.
"CHEAT SHEET OF BEST BEACH FOR 2012"
Away.com included Myrtle Beach in its list of just eight "best beaches" for 2012, calling out the Grand Strand for its "for the whole crew" appeal - citing the destination's family-friendly offerings like the SkyWheel, the Boardwalk and WonderWorks. According to the website, Myrtle Beach is "a no-brainer for the active family on a domestic-trip budget in 2012."
- TOP RETIREMENTS.COM named Myrtle Beach the 25th best place to retire (2011)
- PINPOINT DEMOGRAPHICS Top Ten List of 2011 Restaurants per Capita Myrtle Beach was named one of the top 10 cities with the highest number of restaurants per capita