Why Retire Here?
You can live larger with our lower taxes. South Carolina does not tax Social Security benefits and provides a generous retirement-income deduction when calculating state income tax. State income-tax rates are reasonable and property taxes are very low. Taxes are based on 4 percent to 6 percent of the market value of the home, and senior homeowners qualify for a homestead exemption. When you consider the total package of housing, taxes, utilities and daily living expenses, Myrtle Beach is one of the most affordable cities to live in, and property taxes in the area are among the lowest in America with city of Myrtle Beach residents receive an astounding 88 percent property tax credit.
Excellence in healthcare. With a significant retirement population already enjoying life along our shores, those concerned about top-notch healthcare can rest assured that our area has them covered with award-winning medical centers that use some of the best technology and treatments available. The area also offers a wealth of in-home health services, transportation assistance services and so much more.
Lead an active lifestyle in a community that cares. Over 60 miles of uninterrupted shoreline and over 100 championship golf courses and over 600 fine arts events annually ensure there is plenty to do in your downtime. While we believe in making the most of playtime, the Myrtle Beach area is also a community that cares about our residents. In addition to being able to lead an active lifestyle, retirees will also find plenty of ways to give back—all while meeting interesting people in the area! Religious organizations, arts groups, professional associations, community service groups and medical facilities are always in need of volunteers while they supply valuable support and assistance to the community we call home.
Jeanie Reeder vacationed along the Grand Strand growing up, but she and husband Tom traveled from their Lexington, Ky., home to Oak Island, N.C., with their children for getaways. Expecting to retire to the North Carolina coast, Jeanie and Tom looked for five years without finding the perfect spot.
When a girlfriend of Jeanie’s invited the couple to Barefoot Golf & Resort to see a lot she had just purchased, they visited and ended up buying a neighboring lot that very morning. Says Jeanie, "That was eight years ago, and from that day on we have not looked back. We absolutely love it here! Tom is an avid golfer, and I enjoy the beach. I go every day in the summer."
Myrtle Beach Area News
- Great Places to Retire in the South
- Myrtle Beach Are Tops the List for Relocation
- Myrtle Beach No. 2 in TripAdvisor Ranking of Top Destinations with Earning Potential for Homeowners
- Myrtle Beach Tops Lists of Metro Areas That Are "Growing Like A Week"
- South Carolina Small Business No. 4 in Nation For Optimism
- Where is America Moving To?
- Home sales and prices on the rise in Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach area real estate pros expect the best spring selling season in years
- Independent builders seeing benefits from improved home construction market in Myrtle Beach area
- Myrtle Beach area tops nation with lowest foreclosure rate
- Real estate data company says down payment assistance available to 84% of Myrtle Beach area homes
- Grand Strand Medical Center becomes teaching hospital